We are an organization that fights every day to improve the lives of public workers across our state. Our immediate goals are better wages, working conditions and protection from unfair treatment. Our long-term goal is collective bargaining rights for public workers.
UE members come from all walks of life and include office workers, bus drivers, university and college workers, factory workers, social workers, health care workers, and many other occupations. The UE's slogan is "The Members Run This Union."
- Grievance victories. Rehiring and back pay for workers unjustly fired, inaccurate evaluations corrected, unjust suspensions removed, planned disciplinary actions reversed, pay adjustments won, and more.
- Pay increases won through collective action at the legislature and through reclassification grievance settlements.
- Job security gains made by defeating the unpaid furlough bill and fighting for improved staffing levels at state hospitals and other state agencies.
- Legislative victories. Defeat of a bill to exempt classification changes from being grieved. Legislative study of WV OSHA approved.
- Expansion of worker rights and protections. Prohibition of workplace meetings and literature distribution lifted at the state hospitals. Expansion of workers’ right to representation.